Shawnigan Lake Boating, FISHING + Water rules
RULES FOR BOATERS
- Everyone likes to cruise around the lake viewing the homes along the shore. Please check behind you and Minimize Wake within 30 m (100ft) of shore
- Big Wake Sports Should be contained (start and stop) inside the Green areas on the map. >>>
- The rules state big wake sports should take place in the middle of the lake or at least 100 feet from shore.
- All water sports should happen between dawn and dusk (1 hour after sunset)
- Boaters are reminded that swimmers and non powered watercraft always have the right of way.
- Please make space and watch out for Swimmers and Non-Powered watercraft; they ALWAYS have the right-of-way.
- If you have a stereo, please use it reasonably; Loud music travels much further over water.
- The maximum speed on the lake is 65 km/h (40 mph or 35 knots).
- To stop the spread of mill foil limit boat maneuvering in shallow water (5m/15ft or less)
- If you brought it with you please take it out with you.
- Please don't remove native plants.
There is a Boat Gas Station on the lake where you can park and get a fill up at the Galley Grill.
- You can rent Jet Skis here.
- The Galley Grill now serving Red Arrow Lager brewed right here in the Cowichan Valley.
Fishing at Shawnigan Lake
Fish Species in Shawnigan Lake:
Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Brook Trout, Dolly Vardin, Yellow Perch, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Prickly Sculpin, Lake Whitefish, Pumpkinseed, Three spine Stickleback, Catfish. Chances are you will only catch Bass as they eat all the rest.
B.C. recreational freshwater Fishing License
Click here for fresh water license information.
If you are under 16 years of age you are not required to have a fresh water fishing license in BC.